Eugene Maker Faire Highlights


I got a chance to take my model train down to the Eugene Mini Maker Faire. I also did some hands-on Raspberry Pi stuff, but more about that elsewhere.

The Faire was held at the Science Factory which is sort of a mini-OMSI. My favorite maker exibiting was Steve La Riccia, who brought his "Oppenheimer's Enigma" (pictured above). It was an interactive Steam-Punk work of art that punched out dog tags for the visitors. He takes the art form to a whole new level, and his website is worth a view.

Next to our table was probably the most informative exhibit of the Faire and was put on by Ferti Lab. They showed how you could use common house-hold items to do chromatography and build a working spectrometer using your cell phone! Citizen Science rules.

Outdoors, the Faire had as much going on as inside. The big draw was model rocket launches on the hour.

 
My favorite outdoor exhibitor was Jack McCornack who brought his hand-made sports car that gets almost 100 mpg using a diesel 3-cylinder engine! Talk about a Maker.

I've started a Facebook group for Corvallis Area Makers if anyone wants to get connected with ongoing events and projects: www.facebook.com/groups/corvallisareamakers/

It was an awesome event and well attended. I hope we get invited back!

No comments:

Post a Comment